Let’s talk about something that can transform the boring task that is taking attendance. Now, I know what you might be thinking – attendance, really? But trust me, it can be more than just a roll call. By using attendance questions, you have the opportunity to have a bit of fun and build that class community, first thing in the morning.
In this post, we’re talking about how to use attendance questions as well as ideas on how and where to display the questions. I’ll also share 50 ideas for attendance questions so you can get started right away!
There are two options for using attendance questions as part of your attendance-taking routine. First, you can stick with the classic roll call, but instead of the usual “here”, your students respond with the answers to the day’s attendance question that you’ve shared ahead of time.
Second, if attendance magnets are something you use in your classroom, students can move their magnets to indicate their choice as they enter in the morning.
Displaying the attendance question every morning will give students time to think of their answers ahead of time. This is especially important if you plan to do attendance as a roll call because it prevents students from humming and hawing when you want to get through attendance quickly.
Simple Attendance Questions
- Beach day or ski trip?
- Pancakes or waffles?
- Dogs or cats?
- Summer or winter?
- Comedy movies or action movies?
- Sneakers or flip-flops?
- Fiction or non-fiction?
- Pizza or tacos?
- Pencils or markers?
- Apples or bananas?
- Science or art?
- Rainy day or sunny day?
- Hot cocoa or lemonade?
- Indoor games or outdoor games?
- Spaghetti or tacos?
- Ocean or mountains?
- Board games or card games?
- Painting or drawing?
- Morning person or night owl?
- Picnic in the park or movie night at home?
School Themed Attendance Questions
- Would you rather have a never-ending math class or a never-ending spelling bee?
- If you could only pick one subject for the entire year, would it be Science or Social Studies?
- Cafeteria lunch or packed lunch from home?
- Homework every day or a surprise pop quiz every day?
- If you could be the teacher for a day, which subject would you teach?
- Write with a quill pen or type on a vintage typewriter?
- Choose your desk neighbour: a chatty parrot or a quiet squirrel?
- Would you rather solve math problems on a giant chalkboard or on a computer screen?
- If you could have a pet in the classroom, would it be a talking cat or a singing dog?
- Would you rather have a backpack that’s always too heavy or a pencil that never writes smoothly?
Would You Rather Attendance Questions
- Would you rather have the ability to fly or be invisible?
- Would you rather be able to talk to animals or speak every language in the world?
- Would you rather have a pet dragon or a pet unicorn?
- Would you rather be a famous musician or a professional athlete?
- Would you rather explore the deep sea or outer space?
- Would you rather live in a world with only candy or a world with only pizza?
- Would you rather visit a place in the past or a place in the future?
- Would you rather have a backpack that always has exactly what you need or shoes that can take you anywhere in the world?
- Would you rather live in a cozy cabin in the mountains or a beach house?
- Would you rather have a personal chef or a personal chauffeur?
True or False Attendance Questions
For true or false questions, students guess the answer and the correct answer is revealed after attendance is taken.
- True or False: The Amazon River is the longest river in the world. [false]
- True or False: Octopuses have three hearts. [true]
- True or False: The Eiffel Tower is taller in the summer due to expansion. [true]
- True or False: Lightning never strikes the same place twice. [false]
- True or False: Bananas are berries. [true]
- True or False: Mount Everest is the tallest mountain on Earth. [true]
- True or False: Humans only use 10% of their brains. [false]
- True or False: There are more stars in the sky than grains of sand on Earth. [true]
- True or False: Bees can see all colours except red. [true]
- True or False: Lightning can travel upwards from the ground to the sky. [true]
I hope you’re eager to give attendance questions a shot. It’s a small shift but small changes like these can make all the difference in levelling up your class community. Plus, who knows, maybe you’ll actually remember to take attendance now.
Done for You Attendance Questions
Ready to add attendance equations to your morning routine? Check out the Question of the Day Bundle – including enough question sets to build a vibrant class community while streamlining attendance, for the entire year!
With both printable and editable versions included, you’ll have the flexibility you need. Plus, our teacher tips and instructions make implementation a breeze. Grab the bundle that includes 210 attendance questions. Say goodbye to reminding your students to move their attendance magnets! Click to explore the Question of the Day Bundle!